How I’ll make it through what is now my 2nd missed carnival- which further cements the fact that there will be many many more that I will miss- I. Do. Not. Know. That’s pretty dramatic. I know I’ll be just fine. In the meantime I’ll try to get the most out of Toronto by going to a soca fete or two. I started just the other day and had a wonderful time. It has for me however highlighted the importance of doing to fetes with the right kind of people.
I *love* parties. Few would suspect this. But give me a party where the music is so loud that dancing is the only way to interact with the people around me and I’m the happiest I can be… That said, it have many people who I don’t like to party with. The expression, yuh doan bring sand to de beach comes to mind. That hasn’t been a big issue for me in the past but there are definitely benefits to going unattached.* But what I can’t handle are the lackluster party people. So speaking specifically to my soca heads, I want to party with you only if you meet what I now deem the criteria of a soca sistah soljah** . Are you a soca sistah soljah? If so you should be…
- practising your wine in the mirror at least weekly***
- able to handle wining at least at a 45 degree angle, with aspirations of 6:30… no matter how unrealistic***
- willing to wine on random men
- willing and able to stop random men from wining on you
- willing and able to stop random men from wining on your friend who has having difficulty with 
- willing and able to get close to the stage/ front of the crowd if your or your friend so desires
- greeting at least one person in the party with a wine
- holding your head and wining at least three times in the party
- at the party significantly past last call with no visible decrease in vibe or stamina
*that said, the heterosexist world in which we lives definitely affords privilge to having a fella in your crew- musings to follow
**no reference to Sister Soljah of whom I’m not a fan
*** source- pieces2peace, the original soca sistah soljah!
**** so I was going to put a picture of myself up but I said that might incriminate too many people. But I will go on the record that saying unlike these womyn in the picture it’s *very* race you’ll see any man wining on me and touching me so much. I don’t mind a wine but why’s your hand on my thigh, waist, shoulder, black… yeah. 🙂