Now I spent my *fantastic Friday* shoveling snow, staying under the covers and avoiding snow. Had I put more thought into the matter I should have shoveled listening to one my soca mixes, either this one, or this one… it was bound to make the experience more pleasurable. I’m sure the show was amazing, I don’t mind jump and wave soca 80% of the time during carnival season so I’m not put off by the plethora of songs that have little substance. Here are some of my favourites… and yes, there are no Machel tunes here even though I’m a big fan of two of his song this year. He gets more than enough coverage elsewhere so it’s not really bad mind. 🙂
I wasn’t into soca music, or Trini music enough to be a fan when this man was a staple at soca monarchs. People say he’s the greatest… I don’t often see it. What I do see is someone who definitely inspires people to “get on”, someone who struggles with addiction and breaks the age barrier every time he mashes up the place. So yes, de bouncin’ start!
Denise… age, size & sex barrier. You ever see someone work a bumsie so? In all seriousness, every time I see this woman live I feel a combination of shame and pride. Pride b/c oh me oh my, look at her work it. Shame, b/c oh me oh my, my body could never do that. Not even at its most fit. True royalty…
I’ve been mixed over the years re: Swappi. Sometimes I think he’s a joke, other times I think he’s a boss. A friend made me believe this year though, this power soca… I really don’t have time for chupidness!
who say Return Fete in 10 days?
I swear, I didn’t mean for it to happen this way. Another late day. So here’s some music for your Thursday.
So Sunday I did a little cooking and for some reason I was feeling like listening to some sexin’ tunes or as I like to call them ls- leg spreading music. I actually have a folder saved in “my music” as ls. So let’s take a peak. Try not to laugh at the selection, we all have our own motivations. A time, a place, a person, a moment…
This song makes me want to slow wine, maybe swing from a pole… something I may or may not have done before. 🙂
When people singing ls tunes are significantly younger than you, you’re getting old. I’m not feeling Miguel in any particular way, but quickies sure do serve a purpose.*
I don’t know anyone else who likes this song. I think it’s hilarious. Everyone tells me it’s not a love song. He’s only singing about his prowess. My response? Why the f$#% not? 🙂
N.B. I endorse none of these videos. I doubt I’ve watched all the way through any of them. I only chose videos in the event you also needed some visual stimulation.
What are some of your favourite ls tunes?
*you swear say my ls life real active
I have not listened to music in a long time. I made a major shift recently and in that shift I’m trying to limit background noise. So here’s a random selection from an oh-so-old playlist on shuffle.
I’ve never been a
big Beyonce fan, most times I actively dislike her. pieces2peace long ago tried to put me onto Solange, who I think if I paid more attention to would really be a big fan. T.O.N.Y.
Kill me dead this was Machel the first 100+ times I heard it. But you should know by now I do not actively endorse Machel… so I’m happy to bring you Shal; and whereas I might not be trouble when I start to bubble, I love to think that one day I might be. 🙂
It still breaks my heart just a little bit that this group is no longer together. I had their cd* on repeat for weeks. Oh Washikong…
To end it off and also show my age, I bought this cd as well and was on an Estelle fix. I even liked the song she had with she had with Sean John.
Rock into the night fyah stirrers. 🙂
* I was on the bus and heard two high school students talking about how someone asked another for a cd. His response, “who uses that ancient technology”. #youknowyouareoldwhen
I went to the beach on Sunday and all the bars I passed were playing Kittitian music. This may not seem shocking to you seeing that I’m in St. Kitts but I’ve found in other islands there’s usually a heavy dose of non-local music typically in the form of dancehall outside of carnival time. Then again, maybe the Kittitian bars were inspired by carnival in Nevis… Either way, keep it up and here are some SkN tunes that just have my heart.
When this video came out I was sooooo excited to have a Kittitian video to look and see if I knew anyone.
I feel I only like this song b/c it allows me to say “jess back” 🙂
I tried to find a non-slack Small Axe song, my favourite from them was Dance the Masquerade, I’ve always wanted to be one… Anyway here they are not talking about soaps dropping or pushing back on water pipes.
And I know allyuh tired see this song on this site but it sweet too bad. As someone who waist and bottom not electric I try not to stand up in parties like security and like myself as much as possible!
If riddim box sweet again!
Happy Friday everyone! It’s the beginning of my last full weekend in Toronto so my apartment is crowded with boxes, suitcases and (in a few hours) people. I wanted to keep things light today, since everything else is feeling so heavy right now (I’m oscillating between being overjoyed and breaking down in tears).
I thank god for Facebook sometimes and the random things people share such as 25 Handy Words That Simply Don’t Exist in English. My personal favourites on the list are arigata-meiwaku, l’esprit de l’escalier (because this always happens to me) and mamihlapinatapai (because it sounds kind of beautiful).
One of my friends and I constantly have discussions about body hair. If she had unlimited funds, she would probably laser every strand of hair that grows on her below her eyes. I’m not sure I wouldn’t do the same thing (even my conditioning has been conditioned) but I definitely fight it and question it a little bit more. Said friend passed on this article on ideal body hair to me which I found to be hilarious (and disturbing at the same time). Even if you don’t have time to read the whole thing, please scroll down and look at what three young men drew to represent “good” and “bad” body hair. We could discuss the policing of womyn’s bodies and hair forever, but those drawings both unsettle me and bring me so much joy.
Last but not least, the lovely trendsettah and my body hair friend passed on this blog to me, and when I finally looked at it, I was not remotely disappointed. I think of it as Toronto’s going away gift to me – something to always remember the bad dates, excellent brunches and white people at Caribana by. Thank you.
What random goodness have you come across, my wonderful fyah stirrers?
I’m applying for schools and am trying to get everything arranged to send off my applications in the next month or two and so much writing is involved – so I was inspired to write this post.
- Stuff about myself – whether the personal statement for grad schools, the “who am I” for this blog or the short bios for conferences, I HATE writing things that are supposed to tell you who I am. How am I supposed to sum up twenty something years of fantabulousness in 50,000 words much less 500? Synthesizing, summarizing and all other ‘izing’ things that I’m supposed to do in order to give people a “short description” of myself are processes that frustrate me no end. Maybe this means I shouldn’t be going to grad school?
- Cover letters – Resumes I can get down with, all I have to do is google a few job descriptions, sit down a few hours and play with margins and fonts to get it to fit onto one page. Tedious but very doable. This falls under point #1 but I really feel it needs to be it’s own point – telling you who I am in one page is ridiculous! When I was last ardently searching for a job, I felt like I was going through an identity crisis – when you’re applying for work as a Teller in a bank, an anti-oppression Workshop Facilitator and an Administrative Assistant at a University, you’re recreating yourself using the facts of your life on an hourly basis and it’s easy to forget who you are.
- Emails asking people to do things – I had to email profs to ask them for reference letters. I just hate it. I’m awkward, especially in my head, and have yet to figure out if I’m supposed to pretend I’m writing you to catch up by asking perfunctory questions like “How are you?” and “How are your classes this year?” or just get straight to the point because you know and I know I’m only writing you to ask you for a favour.
- Prolonged sext messages– I’m not even going to get into the whole issue of someone having a transcript of my wutlessness. Let’s pretend there’s a real thing called trusting someone completely for this item on the list. So I’m perfectly capable of sending out a suggestive/wutliss text/IM or two, but the prolonged back and forth just gets, yes, awkward for me. Really are we typing back and forth about who’s going how in where with what? There’s only so long this can go on before it gets ridiculous. Get a webcam (remember I said, we’re operating on the complete trust thing), buy a plane ticket or something. There’s only so much I can take seeing written without feeling like I’m reading a bad Zane novel.
Am I missing anything? What else should I hate writing?